NEW 2015 RESOURCES
Instructional Materials for Arts and Crafts
Below are the CLN "Theme Pages" which focus on specific topics within Arts and
Crafts. CLN's theme pages are collections of useful Internet educational resources
within a narrow curricular topic and contain links to two types of information.
Students and teachers will find curricular resources (information, content...)
to help them learn about this topic. In addition, there are links to instructional
materials (lesson plans) which will help teachers provide instruction in this
theme. Please read our disclaimer.
Bubbles Theme Page
Model Hot Air Balloons Theme Page
Kites Theme Page
Masks Theme Page
Origami Theme Page
Paper Airplanes Theme Page
Puppetry Theme Page
Soaps and Soapmaking Theme Page
Stained Glass Theme Page
General Arts and Crafts Resources
Here are a number of links to other Internet resources which contain information
and/or other links related to Arts and Crafts.
Fun Things To do With Your Kids
- An assortment of different activities that are perfect for a child's party.
Some of the ideas include: How to make a fish pond, How to play Paper Bag
Guess, The rules of Jelly Bean Hunt and many more...
- This page from the "Donna's Day" web site contains recipes for making arts
and crafts materials from inexpensive household supplies.
- A collection of links to over a dozen sites that have recipes for creating
art/arts&crafts materials. Included are instructions on how to make various
types of clay, paint, dough, dye, putty, goop, etc.
- A collection of activities for kids to do and make. The page includes recipes
for play dough, bubble mixture and a bird feeder.
- This collection of arts and crafts ideas from Discount School Supply has
a search engine or you can browse through its 13 categories (e.g., colorations,
handmade gifts, magical discovery, nature crafts, seasonal, traditional, wearable
art, ...) - each of which leads to its own subset of craft suggestions that
come complete with illustrations, recipes where appropriate, and instructions.
AskERIC Lesson Plans - Arts:Art Activities
- More than 25 lesson plans in general art covering various grade ranges
in K-12 - many of these are in arts and crafts.
- A meta-site for the basketmaker, whether advanced, intermediates, beginners,
and basketmaker wanna-be's. The purpose of this site is to exchange tips,
questions, and general knowledge about splint and reed basketmaking techniques.
- From this menu page, choose either the "Holiday Projects", "Crafts One",
or "Crafts Two" button to get a selection of projects suitable for kids. You
need only basic art supplies to complete most of the activities listed.
- "Almost 300 projects and ideas shared by almost 250 people!" The many and
varied projects have complete how-to-do instructions and some have photos
and illustrations. They are indexed according to the month they were submitted.
There is a searchable index but we found it long and slow to download.
- About.com has a comprehensive set of links to craft sites on the Internet.
They're organized into more than 30 categories including Animal Crafts, Bead
Projects, Candlemaking, Crafty Recipes, Dinosaur Crafts, Puppet Crafts, Winter
Crafts, and more.
- Step-by-step instructions on how to make dipped candles.
- You'll find creative ways to recycle by engaging your students in art projects/activities
that make use of a ready source of inexpensive art supplies - namely your
trash. Be sure to look in their "Previous Art Activities" for an archive of
their suggestions - organized into 10 categories: Drawing, Sculpture, Painting,
Holidays, Printmaking, Fiber Arts, Collage, Marbling, General Information,
- A selection of crafts for all ages, from preschoolers to kids to just crafty
- Over 20 needlework plans (see the archives) from The Caron Collection,
a supplier of threads. Note their copyright restrictions that no use of the
plans for teaching purposes is allowed without prior written permission.
Crafts Bulletin Board
- Hundreds of messages exchanging information on various craft projects for
kids. Add your own request/contribution or simply read the archives.
- Full lesson plans for various kinds of activities, including crafts, printmaking,
recycled art, sculpture, and textiles.
- About 50 project ideas for young children. Some are more appropriate for
a home project but there are ample ideas for the teacher as well.
- A lesson plan for building a class quilt with an oceanography theme.
- A meta-list with a vast choice of craft sites.
- Part of the Craftnet Village site, this menu page lists free on-line craft
projects and ideas for many different kinds of crafting. For example, complete
instructions for projects are available in: painting, ceramics, computer,
crochet, fabric painting, jewelry, kids crafts, needlework and much more.
- Quilter's Review
- A useful resource with dozens of articles, tips and ideas all about quilting. A nice website for quilters of all skill levels.
- Beakman describes what paper is made out of and provides step-by-step instructions
on how you can recycle it to make your own.
- Beakman tells you how to make rock candy and warns you that an adult must
be there to help. The procedure lets you see sugar crystals being formed on
a string or skewer.
- Ryan Walsh Quilts
- Ryan Walsh is an accomplished quilter who has been featured in dozens of publications and books. His website is full of quilting ideas and articles from other quilters in the industry.
- Linit Liquid Starch has several pages - each with multiple crafts ideas.
Check out their sections on Arts and Crafts Ideas, Decorating Ideas, Fun Things,
and Party & Holiday Ideas.
Ideas for Primary Teachers
- Looking for craft ideas, activities or worksheets for elementary students?
You'll find a variety at this site organized under the subject heading of
Design and Technology. You'll also find a feature titled "Time-Fillers". This
is a collection of short activities which can be used within a number of subject
areas to fill a few spare moments during the day.
Out: Candles and Candlemaking
- Instructions for candlemaking projects: using plastic molds, chunk candles,
container candles and recycling candles. Also, there are explanations of the
five basic steps in candlemaking: work area preparation, mold setup, pouring
the wax, finishing techniques, and candle storage.
World of Crafts
- A wide variety of suggestions for craft activities for kids organized by
holidays (e.g., Easter, Christmas, Valentines, Hallowe'en). There are also
ideas for summer activities (e.g., outdoors, indoor, food fun, recipes, craft
recipes, garden fun...). Although the ideas tend to be targeted for home use,
many can be applied in a school setting.
- A web site of resources for stitchery enthusiasts providing decorative
patterns and designs for needlepoint, cross-stitch and other forms of decorative
stitching. In addition, the site offers an extensive collection of links to
World Famous Bubble Girl's Recipe Page
- Recipes for bubbles, slime, play dough, baker's clay, and silly putty.
Note: The sites listed above will serve as a source of lesson plans in Arts and Crafts. For other resources in Fine Arts (e.g., lesson plans for art, dance, or music) or for curricular content and theme pages, click the "previous screen" button below. Or, click here
if you wish to return directly to the CLN menu which will give you access to educational resources in all of our subjects.