NEW 2015 RESOURCES
Writing Resumes and Cover Letters Theme Page
This "Theme Page" has links to two types of resources related to the study of writing resumes. Students and teachers will find curricular resources (information, content...) to help them learn about this topic. In addition, there are also links to instructional materials (lesson plans) which will help teachers provide instruction in this theme. Please read our disclaimer.
- From this main page, there are separate links to information on resumes
and cover letters. Look under "Salaries and Job Searching."
For Your Career
- There are 200 sample letters (divided into 20 subsections) that could be
adapted to one's personal situation at this site. The full library of letters
can be downloaded off the main menu or go into the section "Cover Letter Library"
to browse through them. In addition, that section has 13 tips on what to do
and not to do in a cover letter.
- Check out the sections on Resumes and Cover Letters in this Boston College
Search Manual: Part 5 The Successful Resume
- This BC site provides instruction on how to write a successful resume including
information on types of resumes, accomplishments, drafting various tyrpes
of resume, references, cover letters, and job seeker's calling card. For the
teacher, there are student worksheets which can be used to supplement your
- General information on resumes, resume formats, tips, resume samples, information
on cover letters, samples of cover letters, links to other WWW resources,
and information on electronic resume banks.
On: Tips for Resumes
- A guide from the College of William and Mary containing four elements:
1) Taking inventory of your marketable skills and accomplishments; 2) Looking
at the various parts of a resume (Header, Job Objective, Education, Honors
and Awards, Experiences, Action Verbs, Activities, Personal Attributes, References);
3) Choosing a Format; 4) Final Thoughts.
Resumes and Cover Letters
- This package of information from NextSteps (the City of Calgary) has advice
on what information to include, what to omit, three resume formats, tips on
successful writing, references, and the cover letter.
- Two documents from the Rensselaer Writing Center which give students information,
tips, and samples for writing cover letters and resumes.
and Cover Letters
- This section of the online version of "Creative Job Search", put out by
the Minnesota Department of Economic Security, has extensive coverage of resume
and cover letter writing. Students will be able to learn more about the various
formats, variations, basic principles, and strategies. There are sample copies
to review and worksheets that can serve as starting points.
Top Ten Technical Resume Writing Tips
- Here are 10 practical tips for any one who is writing a resume. There are
also answers to some frequently asked questions about what to include in a
Note: The sites listed above will serve as a source of curricular content in Writing Resumes. For other resources in Career Studies (e.g., curricular content, lesson plans, and theme pages), click the "previous screen" button below. Or, click here if you wish to return directly to the CLN menu which will give you access to educational resources in all of our subjects.