The Human Body's Senses: Touch Theme Page
Here are a number of links to Internet sites which contain information and/or other links related to the specific theme of the body's sense of touch. Please read our
- Primary students learn about the sense of touch by replicating a given
pattern of beads from a bag of unseen beads. They have to use touch to search
for each shape in the order in which it occurs in the sample pattern.
System Theme Page
- This CLN page has links to educational resources on the Brain/Nervous System
for students who wish to explore further.
- This teaching unit has seven lesson plans through which K-1 students learn
about their senses within mathematics, science and language learning activities.
Background information for the teacher is included in each lesson. Lessons
1 and 7 are introductory and culminating lessons. In lesson 4, students learn
that their sense of touch helps them to learn about their world by feeling
it. They also learn about size, texture and shape of things.
- This kindergarten curriculum unit from Utah contains background information
for the teacher and 12 activities through which they can explore their senses.
Five Senses: Touch
- A four day teaching unit for grade 3 students. Students learn about the
human body's sense of touch and participate in four activities.
- The goals of this lesson plan are to have students identify sensory descriptors
(e.g., smooth, rough, hard, soft, cold, warm), understand that objects can
be described with one or more of these words, differentiate between the adjectives,
and be able to associate them with objects.
Body: Sense Unit: Touch
- A lesson plan for upper elementary students which has a hands-on activity
to help students learn more about their sense of touch. The lesson is part
of the BCTF Daybook.
with the Sun: Preventing Skin Cancer
- A project-based lesson plan for a two week unit for middle school students.
Links to web sites where students can obtain information are included within
from Me: Touching
- A brief explanation plus a touch experiment.
- A brief explanation about the skin, interesting tidbits, and over a dozen
experiments/activities for K-12 students related to touch.
Program Biology Index
- Teachers participating in the SMILE (Science and Mathematics Initiative
for Learning Enhancement) summer session programs each create a single concept
lesson plan. This database has 60 lesson plans in the section on Anatomy &
Physiology that deal directly with the human body's senses and systems. Caution:
Since there is a wide number of authors who have contributed to the database,
the detail and quality of the lesson plans will vary.
Note: The sites listed above will serve as a source of curricular content
in the Sense of Touch. For other resources in Science (e.g., curricular content
in Earth Science, General Science, Life Science, or Physical Science), or for
lesson plans and theme pages, click the "previous screen" button below. Or,
click here if you wish to return
directly to the CLN menu which will give you access to educational resources
in all of our subjects.