Teen Suicide Theme Page
This "Theme Page" has links to resources related to the study of Teen Suicide. Students and teachers will find curricular resources (information, content...) to help them learn about this topic. Please read our disclaimer.
- Written by a clinical professor of child and adolescent psychiatry, this
article investigates the recent increases in the adolescent suicide rate due
to emotional problems. The author focuses on adolescent depression, how it
can put adolescents at risk for suicide and how it can be successfully treated.
and Depression aka: Wing of Madness
- A meta-list of resources dealing with suicide, depression, and other emotional
problems teens may experience.
- Suicide Awareness \ Voices of Education
- A very comprehensive site for understanding issues regarding suicide. It
has information identifying symptoms of depression and danger signs of suicide,
many questions and answers, suicide facts and misconceptions, and what you
can do if you or a friend are feeling suicidal.
- Suicide information on this page is supported by the Canadian Kids Help
Phone (1-800-668-6868 ). They also provide links to information on a number
of other topics of concern for teens.
- Child and Family Canada post these facts about Canadian youth and the impact
of suicide. The facts are categoried into the following order: Canadian Situation,
Hospitalization, Risk Factors, Sex Differences, and Aboriginal Children and
- The State University of New York offers students information about what
suicide is about, what the warning signs might be, and how you can help someone
who feels suicidal.
- Suicide facts from the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
indicate a dramatic increase in suicidal behaviour in recent years. The information
given is an overview of causes and symptoms for suicidal feelings.
Suicide Fact Sheet
- Facts from recent studies show a high percentage of gay and lesbian youth
attempt suicide. The studies show that these youth are three times more at
risk of suicide than heterosexual youth.
to Do When a Friend is Depressed
- A guide for teenagers when your friend's activity and outlook on life stay
"down" for weeks and begin to affect your relationship. It examines the different
causes for depression and what you can do to help. The guide dissolves many
of the myths about suicidal feelings.
Suicide in Australia
- Information about the increase in teenage suicide in Australia. The article
discusses how the feelings of depression and despair are treatable. It includes
a list of the many signs and symptoms exhibited by someone feeling suicidal.
Suicide Prevention Programs: A Resource Guide
- A comprehensive document that describes in detail eight different suicide
prevention programs. In order to assist people who may be developing a suicide
prevention program, it recommends what elements and strategies of these programs
appear most effective.
Note: The sites listed above will serve as a source of curricular content
in Teen Suicide. For other resources in Health, Nutrition, and Personal Planning
(e.g., curricular information), or for lesson plans and theme pages, click the
"previous screen" button below. Click here
if you wish to return directly to the CLN menu, which will give you access to
educational resources in all of our subjects.