Songs for Children Theme Page
This "Theme Page" has links to Internet sources of Songs for Children. At these sites, you'll find the lyrics to songs that are popular with children. In some cases, there will also be downloadable sound files and occasionally you'll also have access to the musical score. Search engines which allow you to find songs by artist or by key word are also common.
Please note that not all of these sites will be "child-safe." Those that are intended specifically for children (e.g., they have "children" in the title) will probably be fine. However, we've also included links to folk songs, shanties, traditional tunes, and popular songs since these are commonly found in the classroom. However, these types of songs have a broader audience than just children and, as such, inappropriate content may be encountered. Please read our disclaimer.
Children's Music Archives
- Words to some favourite children's songs organized alphabetically.
CISV Song Database
- CISV ( Children's International Summer Villages) has collected words and
guitar chords to CISV songs as well as to many pop classics and children's
songs in different languages. Some sound files are also available.
Muse: Australian Folk Songs
- Words, music, sound files, and information on more than 100 Australian
Digital Tradition Folk Song Database
- The Digital Tradition is a 1997 data base containing the words to over
6,500 folk songs plus sound files for many of them. The above link is to a
searchable database. You can also browse through the database by accessing
or you can download
the 1998 database to your own PC or MAC.
Music of England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, and America
- Lyrics and sound files for hundreds of folk songs categorized (and in some
cases subcategorized) by type (e.g., songs of love, songs of war, lullabies
and sad songs, songs of home, songs of the sea... ).
Great Canadian Tune Book
- Barry Taylor of Victoria BC offers this collection of my midi file arrangements
of traditional Canadian tunes and folk songs to music educators. A sound card
will be needed. (See also his site "Taylor's Traditional Tunebook" further
down this page.)
- Mojo's Musical Museum
- Terry Kluytmans of Sidney BC has stored the lyrics to hundreds of children's
songs in this archive. Songs within the archive can be located with a search
engine, by title, and by subject (e.g., traditional, lullabies, learning,
food, silly-nilly, etc.).
Garden of Songs
- Words and sound files for children's nursery rhymes. There are also about
a dozen children's songs (e.g., Christmas, Just-for-Fun).
Lisa's World: Children's Songs and Rhymes of All Nations
- Over 25 countries are represented in this collection of words to children's
songs and nursery rhymes.
and Sea Songs
- Words to over 60 shanties/sea songs.
- Barry Taylor of Victoria BC has accumulated over 500 sound files of traditional
tunes from Scotland, Ireland, Wales, England, Canada, and the U.S. accompanied,
for the most part, by lyrics. Entire sections of his collection can be downloaded.
- Clicking on the above button will allow you to download the words to a
wide variety of popular songs along with the guitar chords necessary to play
them. This is an "FTP site" and, as such, it is not as friendly as the normal
web site. Songs are organized into one of 26 alphabetized folders by artist
(e.g., singer's last name, group, composer's last name). There are also occasional
entries for type of song (e.g., Christmas).
Note: The sites listed above will serve as a source for Songs for Children
For other resources in Fine Arts (e.g., curricular content in Art, Music, Drama,
Dance, etc), or for lesson plans and theme pages, click the "previous screen"
button below. Or, click here
if you wish to return directly to the CLN menu which will give you access to
educational resources in all of our subjects.