NEW 2015 RESOURCES
The Human Body's Senses: Smell Theme Page
Here are a number of links to Internet sites which contain information and/or other links related to the specific theme of the body's sense of smell. Please read our
System Theme Page
- This CLN page has links to educational resources on the Brain/Nervous System
for students who wish to explore further.
- This teaching unit has seven lesson plans through which K-1 students learn
about their senses within mathematics, science and language learning activities.
Background information for the teacher is included in each lesson. Lessons
1 and 7 are introductory and culminating lessons. In lesson 5, students learn
that their sense of smell helps them to enjoy life. They also learn about
- This kindergarten curriculum unit from Utah contains background information
for the teacher and 12 activities through which they can explore their senses.
Five Senses: Smell
- A two day teaching unit for grade 3 students. Students learn about the
human body's sense of smell, list the seven primary odors, and participate
in two activities.
Anatomy On-line Animations: Nasal Passages
- An animated cut-away view of the human nasal passages along with a brief
explanation on a separate page. Java required.
Body: Sense Unit: Smell
- A lesson plan for upper elementary students which has a hands-on activity
in which children pretend they are salmon returning to their home stream.
The lesson is part of the BCTF Daybook.
Amazing Sense of Smell
- A fairly academic article on insects' sense of smell that may help students
better understand the equivalent human sense.
from Me: Smelling
- A variety of learning activities for exploring the sense of smell.
- About a half-dozen smelling experiments/activities for K-12 students.
Hearing and Smelling the World
- The goal of this site is to help high school students understand how the
brain and other body senses work together. The above link is to their main
page. Below are links to specific explanations on elements of smell.
Mystery of Smell
Four articles describe the mysteries associated with our sense of smell:
The Vivid World of Odors;
Finding the Odorant Receptors;
How Rats and Mice - and Probably Humans - Recognize Odors;
The Memory of Smells.
Secret Sense in the Human Nose
Three articles exploring our ability to sense certain chemical signals:
Sniffing Out Social and Sexual Signals;
Triggers of Innate Behavior;
Pheromones and Mammals.
Program Biology Index
- Teachers participating in the SMILE (Science and Mathematics Initiative
for Learning Enhancement) summer session programs each create a single concept
lesson plan. This database has 60 lesson plans in the section on Anatomy
& Physiology that deal directly with the human body's senses and systems.
Caution: Since there is a wide number of authors who have contributed to
the database, the detail and quality of the lesson plans will vary.
- This page from Newton's Apple has an explanation why taste and smell
are related and an experiment to explore which sense (taste or smell) sends
the clearest message to the brain.
Guide to Better Health: The Nose
- Designed for upper elementary students, this page illustrates a cut-away
of the nose with labels to the many parts and provides a small description
of how we smell.
- The goals of this lesson plan are to have students identify ways in which
their sense of smell helps them and understand how this sense works with other
That Smell? The Nose Knows
- A brief explanation designed for kids about the nose and its functions
in tasting, smelling, and breathing.
Note: The sites listed above will serve as a source of curricular content in the Sense of Smell. For other resources in Science (e.g., curricular content in Earth Science, General Science, Life Science, or Physical Science), or for lesson plans and theme pages, click the "previous screen" button below. Or, click here if you wish to return directly to the CLN menu which will give you access to educational resources in all of our subjects.