NEW 2015 RESOURCES
English Grammar and Style Theme Page
This "Theme Page" has links to information about English Grammar and Style. Students and teachers will find curricular resources (information, content...) and reference materials (e.g., style books) to help them learn about this topic. In addition, there are also links to instructional materials (lesson plans) which will help teachers provide instruction in this theme. Please read our disclaimer.
a Grammar Expert
- People you can ask when you have a grammar question.
- The P.R. Department of Lake Superior State University publishes this annual compilation of "Words and phrases BANISHED from the Queen's English for Mis-, Mal- and Over-Use, as well as General Uselessness."
Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation
- Student exercises (with answers) set this resource apart from other grammar
Errors in English
- Brief explanations of common errors in word usage (e.g., "who's" and "whose").
There's also a list of commonly misspelled words and a section on word usages
that are correct but which are frequently considered wrong.
- Bill Walsh (copy desk chief of The Washington Times) created this writer's
guide. He mixes strong opinion with humour.
- This web site is a source of brief student lessons (with exercises and
answers) on grammar. You can receive the lessons through a daily listserv
or browse the archives.
- There are over twenty headings on elementary grammar topics at this UK
site. These range from "Word Order" to "The Present Perfect Continuous Tense"
- William Strunk Jr.'s on-line edition of the ultimate authority on the elementary
rules of usage and the principles of composition.
to Grammar and Style
- This guide contains a miscellany of notes on grammatical rules and explanations,
comments on style, and suggestions on usage that Jack Lynch has prepared for
his University classes.
- Seven lesson plans from Brigham Young University. These have not been originally
designed with K-12 students in mind, but many should be adaptable.
Punctuation, and Capitalization
- A handbook for technical writers.
to Grammar and Writing
- The writing element means that this is not just a grammar site.
King's English by Fowler
- An extensive resource.
English Grammar Resource
- The On-line English Grammar Resource allows students and teachers to obtain
information on the proper use of grammar through either an online searchable
database or by accessing grammatical topics/rules through the alphabetical
- Over 130 handouts for writing students/instructors from the Online Writing
Lab (OWL) at Purdue University. Some are instructional in nature; others are
exercises in grammatical topics.
- This repository of lesson plans has about 20 lessons in English Grammar.
Use the search engine ("grammar") on the home page to find them.
Note: The sites listed above will serve as a source of curricular content in English Grammar and Style. For other resources in English/Language Arts (e.g., curricular content, lesson plans, and theme pages), click the "previous screen" button below. Or, click here if you wish to return directly to the CLN menu which will give you access to educational resources in all of our subjects.