NEW 2015 RESOURCES
Instructional Materials in History
Below are the CLN "Theme Pages" which focus on specific topics within History.
CLN's theme pages are collections of useful Internet educational resources within
a narrow curricular topic and contain links to two types of information. Students
and teachers will find curricular resources (information, content...) to help
them learn about this topic. In addition, there are links to instructional materials
(lesson plans) which will help teachers provide instruction in this theme.
Ancient Civilizations Theme Page
Countries Theme Page
Explorers Theme Page
Holocaust Theme Page
Pirates, Privateers, and Buccaneers Theme Page
Renaissance Theme Page
General Social Studies Resources
Here are a number of links to other Internet resources which contain information
and/or other links related to Social Studies. Please read our
Curricular Exchange: Social Studies
- Mini lesson plans from Academy One/Columbia Education Center in Social
Studies. Lesson plans for History are interspersed throughout the collection.
Search: Social Studies
- Houghton Mifflin's Education Place Activity Search gives teachers access
to a wide number of K-12 traditional (i.e., not Internet) activities. It is
possible to search for activities by curriculum areas and/or grade levels,
or browse the activities by themes. History lesson plans are interspersed
through the Social Studies section.
AskERIC Lesson Plans - Social Studies
- Numerous lesson plans in History, State History, US History and World history
covering various grade ranges in K-12.
- A collection of card and board games organized by subject and grade levels
(K-College). Games for history are within the Social Studies section.
- Chilliwack Senior Secondary School Social Studies Department
- Teachers of CSSS have put their lesson resources online, including strategies
for conducting debates, mock trials, group presentations, journals and collages.
Some of these can be used within a history classroom.
Lesson Collection: Social Studies
- Select "Social Studies" on their Lesson Collection Page to find collections
of "History", US History", and "World History" lesson plans.
12 Provincial Examinations
- Full information on the BC Grade 12 provincial examinations, including
copies of previous exams and their keys (e.g., History), exam timetables,
exam results, holistic scoring guides, reports to schools and general information.
Resource Packages (IRPs)
- These Integrated Resource Packages (IRPs) provide some of the basic information
that teachers will require to implement the BC Ministry of Education Science
curricula in K-12.
- Learning Space (LS) Social Studies: WWW Research Lessons
- One of the ways to integrate the Internet into your classroom is by using
it as a source of current curricular information. Having students conduct
research on the WWW is an effective and relevant learning activity but teachers
may feel at a loss as to what kind of questions students should be given to
research. This site contains over 25 examples of Social Studies (including
History) research questions (organized by grade levels) which pose motivating,
genuine problems or open-ended real life problems whose solutions and answers
are not easily found (some of which are US content-based). In addition, there
is a step-by-step guide to creating your own research questions.
Lesson Plans and Teaching Strategies
- Over 75 annotated and alphabetized links to Social Studies lesson collections.
History lesson plans may be found within the General Social Studies web sites
but there are also links to history specific sites.
York State Regents Examinations
- The N.Y. State Regents Examinations are a set of subject-based standardized
tests for N.Y. high school students. Here are two resources, from different
organizations, that can help teachers and students prepare for these or other
similar standardized exams.
York State Education Department Download PDF formatted copies of recent
Regents Examinations and answer keys from this page.
Exams Prep Centre: History The Prep Centre, developed by Oswego County
high school teachers, is intended to help Grade 12 teachers and students
prepare for the N.Y. Regents Exams. Teachers can access sets of sample
questions that are organized by subject and then by topic. Alternatively,
students can attempt the questions, view the correct answer, or follow
a link to a tutorial on the curricular content in the question if they
Ideas for Primary Teachers
- There's a variety of history ideas, activities and worksheets for elementary
students at this site. You'll also find a feature titled "Time-Fillers". This
is a collection of short activities which can be used within a number of subject
areas to fill a few spare moments during the day.
Note: The sites listed above all have lesson plans/activities for the Social Studies classroom teacher. For other resources in this subject area (e.g., curricular content or theme pages), click the "previous screen" button below. Or, click here
if you wish to return directly to the CLN menu which will give you access to educational resources in all of our subjects.